We've just been out and about making NO final choices at all, still just looking and starting to process more decisions!!
Jason decided we needed to go look at flooring for our house. We told VR what we wanted, and we have our estimate, but Jason really wanted to see if he was pretty close to being right or how far under budget he might be.
We went to 2 floor stores this morning, and then on the way home stopped at Budget Blinds to see how much shutters cost. Most builders do not include blinds or shutters in the estimate of the house.
But, I'm also discovering or learning or being educated, that it takes about 5 to 6 weeks, sometimes 8 weeks to order what you want and ship them here, whether it be shutters, bricks, floors, and I'm sure other things that will come up. So, it's not a bad idea to look at this stuff now, and be better prepared.
Let me just say there are 1,754,893 color choices out there for engineered hand scarped wood floors. Ahhh, but seriously, there are SO many. Each store had about 6 or 7 different companies they order the type of wood floors we want, and each company has about 30 or 40 different color shades of wood. It is just really daunting. Jason loves the DARK wood floors; I worry about the dust and dirty foot prints, so I like the medium colors.

I had also really wanted travertine floors in my kitchen and breakfast nook, and a few other areas, but those few other areas included the pantry, hall, laundry room, mud area, powder bathroom, and Jason's desk area. It has ended up being quite a bit square footage for travertine, but that is what VR budgeted it in for, and he never said anything about it being not a good idea.
These are a type of travertine floors.

The lady at the store acted real surprised when I said we were putting on floors; she said no one has ever ordered travertine for their floors, and that sometimes they use it for the backsplash. She said it was very porous and had to be re-sealed every few years, and it might chip or crack easily if something is dropped. She suggested getting porcelain tile that looks like stone for half the price. Jason was all on board for that!! :)
I am actually leaning towards porcelain today, but hoping I can find some porcelain that I really like.
I just really like the look of travertine. Have any of you ever seen it in someone's house or know of someone that had it? Was it good, pretty, or hard to deal with?
We just put in porcelain in our house that looks like stone. Most people that see it think that it is stone, but like you said, it was half the price. I think ours is Marazzi Archaeology. We put in the square ones in the bathrooms and the rectangle ones in the kitchen.
ReplyDelete